wakari-masen

wakari-masen means "i don't understand" in Japanese. I'm anticipating using this phrase a lot in the next few months as I take in the sights, sounds and experiences of Japan

Friday, July 13, 2007

So Long, Farewell

Wow, look at this, two posts in the same week! I'm writing this during a no-show on my third-to-last day of work at Nova. Now, while there are certainly some things about this job that I've grown to loathe, on the whole, I've greatly enjoyed my go at being Jen-sensei. The best thing about my job so far has been the chance to teach so many incredible, interesting, hard-working, and just plain adorable students. There are now many favourites whom I have taught for the last time, and may infact never see again. The constant farewells have put me into a hyper-emotional state for the past week. Yesterday I said goodbye to Eri, a young, shy housewife whom I have been teaching every Thursday since I began working here in September. Though her English level is still quite low, I have learned about her love for Italy and U2's The Edge, as well as her plan to see the sunrise from the top of Mt. Fuji on the morning of her next birthday. Later in the day I had my last lesson with Rei, a university administrator in her mid-forties who frequently suffers from giggle attacks and with whom I share a love for all things pink.

First up today was Rieko, a bubbly doctor's wife who sings opera, gives free tours of Tokyo to foreign visitors, and loves to study amphibiens. I then taught my demons, the brother-sister pair of three year old Saki and five year old Ryota, who presented me with drawings of myself and a blue dragon (at least I hope it was a dragon and not me...). The hardest goodbye was with perhaps the most adorable six year old to ever live, Matsuri. For several months, Matsuri and I had one-on-one lessons every week. Although she has now aged out of my class and is taught by another teacher, we still chat before and after lessons. Today Matsuri presented me with a letter written by her and a request from her mum that I send her a letter from Canada. I'm now greatly looking forward to continuing my friendship with my six-year-old Japanese pen-pal.

My last two days will no doubt include more difficult goodbyes, including with Reina, a moody 13 year old who also happens to be my #1 favourite student. I'll be sure to bring along extra tissues.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm in tears just reading this!

    You've touched several lives there. What an incredible journey God has taken you on. Treasure the memories. Keep the tissues close!

    5 days to go til you're home. Can't wait!

    Love, Mom

     

Post a Comment

<< Home